A poster is a type of print. More specifically, it’s a reproduction (a copy of an original work of art or photo).
Standard posters are usually used to advertise events, ideas, or products. For example, a movie studio may release a poster to generate interest in an upcoming film.
These posters are easily printed in high quantities and use lower-quality inks and sheets of paper. Its lower standards of quality are what make posters much more affordable than most other types of prints. But their lower standards in quality also limit their life span and careful attention to the true color of the image is usually not a top priority.
Today, posters also come as poster prints, which is a superior version of just the standard poster. When you go to popular sites like Society6 and Redbubble, you’ll quickly find that poster prints that are sold as high-quality wall art.
However, compared to other types of prints, poster prints are still one of the cheapest ways to decorate bare walls.
Although poster prints are considered to be of lesser quality than other types of prints, sites like Society6 and Redbubble have posters that are printed on premium, smooth gloss/semi-gloss
The weight for most poster paper is usually 120-140gsm* which is sturdy enough for temporary posters you would find nailed to a post outside, advertising a band’s gig, or trying to find a missing pet. They can definitely handle a bit of wind and rain.
* GSM means grams per square meter and describes how heavy paper is.
However, poster prints that are meant to be hung on your walls as artwork should usually be 185gsm in weight or more, especially if they won’t be framed.
Poster Printing (Simply Defined)
Most posters today are made using digital printing.
Digital printing is a process that uses an inkjet printer to print digital images onto a variety of media. This type of printing is often used for short-run printing, as it is less expensive and faster than traditional offset printing.
An inkjet printer uses tiny jets of ink to create the image on the paper. The inkjet printer is able to print very detailed images, making it perfect for creating posters.
The paper that is used for posters is also important. Most posters are printed on glossy paper, which helps to make the colors pop. The glossy paper also makes it easier to see the details in the image.
Digital printing offers many advantages over traditional printing methods, including lower costs, shorter turnaround times, and more flexibility in design.
Main Difference Between Poster Prints & Other Types of Prints
The main difference between poster prints and other types of prints is the kind of paper used. Posters are printed on poster paper.
Posters are printed on all kinds of poster paper that differ in size and weight. However, all types of poster paper share common characteristics.
- First, poster paper is smooth and glossy (or at least semi-glossy).
- Poster paper is also a type of paper that is thicker and more durable than standard copy paper. It is often used for posters, signs, and other projects that need to be displayed for a long period of time. It’s also slightly water-resistant so it doesn’t crinkle up or rip easily when it gets wet.
- Poster paper also typically allows for brighter and more colorful prints than other types of paper, which makes it ideal for projects that need to be eye-catching.
The Benefits of Poster Prints
There are a few benefits to getting posters for your walls:
- For one, poster prints can be very affordable, which makes them a great option for decorating on a budget. Since they cost very little compared to other types of prints, they also make great gifts for friends and family members.
- Poster prints are typically easier to hang on your walls since they don’t require any special framing or mounting.
- Poster prints can be a good investment if you purchase them from a reputable source. If you find a limited edition or rare poster, it could be worth a lot of money in the future. So, if you’re into collecting things, posters are definitely something to consider investing in.
- Finally, poster prints tend to be more versatile in terms of the types of designs that can be printed on them. Whether you want a simple graphic design or a complex painting, a poster print will likely be able to accommodate your needs.
How to Hang a Poster Print
There are a few different ways that you can hang a poster. You can use tape, tacks, or even putty. But, you shouldn’t use any of those methods if you don’t want to damage the poster.
The best way to hang a poster print is to put it in a poster frame (Amazon). There are a few reasons why you should hang posters in a frame:
- It will help to protect your poster print from damage, like tearing, creasing, or fading over time.
- Hanging your poster print in a frame will make it look more like an art piece, rather than just a poster. A frame will also make a poster print more noticeable and add a touch of class and sophistication to an otherwise simple poster.
- Finally, it will be easier to display and hang your poster print if it is in a frame because the frame will keep the poster print flat.
So if you want to protect your investment, show off your style, and make things easy on yourself, hanging your posters in frames is the way to go!
Conclusion: Is a Poster Print Right for You?
When you’re looking for a new print for your home or office, you may be wondering if a poster print is the right choice for you.
Here are some things to consider when making your decision:
- Poster prints are typically larger than other types of prints, so they make a big impact. If you want something that will really stand out on your wall, a poster print is a great option.
- Poster prints are also relatively inexpensive, so they’re a good choice if you’re on a budget. You can find many high-quality poster prints for under $100.
- Finally, consider the framing options for poster prints. They can be framed in many different ways, so you can find a frame that fits your style and budget.