Contents: What Is an Art Board Print?
Art Board Print: Meaning
As an art aficionado, I know that finding the perfect way to display artwork, photo prints, or posters is essential. That’s why
art board prints are such a popular option.
Art board prints stand out from other types of prints because of their production process. Rather than printing an image onto paper and framing it, the print is first mounted onto a rigid board. This ensures that the print remains straight and flat, preventing it from warping, buckling, or bending over time.
Redbubble provides art board prints (Amazon) that feature textured watercolor paper mounted on 4-ply art board (Amazon). To get a clearer idea of their art board prints’ appearance, you can watch the video below.
How Are Art Board Prints Made?
As someone who appreciates the beauty of art and photography, I have learned that prints mounted on boards are a great way to display my favorite works. Let me walk you through the simple yet important process of creating one:
- Choose the paper: Firstly, it’s important to choose the right paper. I always opt for high-quality, archival-grade paper to ensure that the print will maintain its vibrancy and beauty for many years to come.
- Print the image: Next, the image is printed onto the paper using a high-quality printer that produces sharp, vibrant colors. The ink used is specifically designed to adhere to the paper, creating a long-lasting and high-quality image that truly pops. (Of course, you can also use original artwork as well!)
- Mount the print: Then comes the exciting part – mounting the print onto a board. I prefer using foam core as it’s lightweight yet sturdy, providing an excellent base for the print. The print is then secured to the board using a specialized adhesive, ensuring it stays firmly in place.
- Protect the print (optional): For added protection, I recommend applying a clear coating to the surface of the print. This coating acts as a protective layer against UV light, moisture, and other environmental factors that can damage the print and shorten its lifespan.
Overall, creating an
art board print is a simple yet rewarding process that allows you to display your favorite works of art or photography in a beautiful and long-lasting way.
Types of Art Board Prints
If you’re looking for a way to showcase your favorite images,
art board prints are great and affordable. But with so many mounting options available, it can be tough to choose which one is right for you. Let me break down the three most common types of art board prints: traditional photographic prints, giclée prints, and acrylic-mounted prints.
Traditional photographic art board prints use light-sensitive paper that is chemically processed to produce a sharp and vivid image. Professional photo mounting has a timeless feel and is resistant to fading, making it a great choice for preserving memories.
Giclée art board prints are made using high-quality inkjet printers that create detailed, high-resolution images. They’re perfect for reproducing artwork and capturing fine details. Giclée prints are often printed on archival-quality paper or canvas for added protection against fading and damage. (You can see an example of a mounted giclée art board print trend at one of my favorite art sites, Redbubble.)
Acrylic-mounted prints create a sleek, modern look by printing the image onto paper and mounting it onto a piece of acrylic (see video below). The print appears to float off the wall, adding a unique touch to any space. Plus, the acrylic provides an extra layer of protection, making it more durable and long-lasting.
Another common art board printing process is mounted poster printing. This involves mounting a poster onto a sturdier backing material like foam board or PVC board (Amazon). This process adds durability and a professional appearance to the poster, making it suitable for use in trade shows, presentations, retail displays, and other events that require an eye-catching display.
When choosing a type of art board print, consider your intended use and the look you’re going for. Mounted photo prints are perfect for creating a timeless feel, giclée prints are great for reproducing artwork, and acrylic-mounted prints offer a sleek, modern touch.
How Do You Hang Art Board Prints?
When it comes to hanging an art board print, there are a few different options to consider.
Method 1: Using Screw Hooks (See video above)
- L Shape Screw Hooks (Amazon) can be screwed directly into the wall, but depending on the wall, pilot holes may need to be drilled first.
- Make sure to turn the hooks away from the center of the print to avoid damaging the print surface when sliding it in.
- Screw the hooks in gently to support the print snugly, but not too tight as to damage the face of the print.
- Use a top hook to ensure the print doesn’t come off the wall.
Method 2: Using Easy Push Tabs (See video above)
- Easy push tabs, like Kwik Foam Board Hangers (Amazon), can be inserted into the back of an art board print and secured using prongs.
- Insert the tabs at an equal distance from each side and an equal distance from the top to ensure the print hangs level.
- String a picture hanging wire (Amazon) between 2 hooks or hang the hooks directly on nails on the wall.
- If hanging between 2 hooks: Insert the tabs at an angle so that the wire pulls on the hooks in the direction of the prongs. Cut the wire to the desired length, wrap it around itself to secure it, and leave enough slack to hang the print at the right level. Once the print is positioned on the nail, it can be adjusted to hang level by moving it back and forth.
Method 3: Picture Hanging Strips
One great feature of an art board print is that you can hang it on the wall without nails, screws, or holes in the wall because art board prints are typically thin and very lightweight. Usually, you can hang an art board print with something like Command Picture Hanging Strips (Amazon).
Can You Frame an Art Board Print?
Yes, you can actually frame an art board print. And not only can framing an art board print add extra protection to the piece, but it can also give it a polished and professional look.
Shadow box frame: One easy way to frame an art board print is by using a shadow box frame (Amazon), which is becoming increasingly popular. These frames have a deeper interior depth that can accommodate art board prints, and all you have to do is stick the print against the frame’s backing using something like Command Picture Hanging Strips (Amazon). This method is perfect for those who want to showcase their print while keeping it well-protected.
Floating frame: Another popular option is using a floating frame (Amazon), which provides a nice finished look and can be more suitable for thicker-art board prints. This type of frame adds a beautiful touch of sophistication to any print, and can take your artwork to the next level.
Whether you’re displaying artwork in a gallery or in your own home, framing an art board print is a fantastic way to enhance its presentation and ensure it stays protected for years to come.
Caring for Your Art Board Print
As a lover of beautiful images, I understand the importance of keeping your art board prints in tip-top shape. Here are some helpful tips that can help you care for and maintain your cherished art board prints:
- Shield from direct sunlight: Direct sunlight can be damaging to your prints, causing them to fade over time. Prevent this from happening by avoiding hanging your print in direct sunlight, or opt for UV-protective glass or acrylic for added protection.
- Dust regularly: Keep your art board prints looking their best by regularly dusting them with a soft, dry cloth or a feather duster. Avoid using water or cleaning solutions, as they can damage the print.
- Hands off! Avoid touching the surface: Your hands contain oils that can leave marks on your print or cause it to degrade over time. Be mindful when handling your print and avoid touching the surface.
- Store with care: When storing your prints, it’s essential to keep them in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. For added protection, store them flat or upright, covered with a protective material to prevent dust and damage.
By following these simple but crucial tips, you can ensure that your art board prints stay beautiful and vibrant for years to come. With proper care and maintenance, your prints will continue to bring you joy every time you look at them.
Conclusion: Why Choose an Art Board Print?
When it comes to showcasing artwork or a photo print, you have plenty of options to choose from. But if you’re looking for something that’s both durable and stylish, an art board print might be the way to go.
One of the biggest advantages of an art board print is its durability and longevity. Unlike traditional art prints, which can easily tear or become damaged, or stretched canvas prints, which can warp due to changes in temperature or exposure to moisture, an art board print is designed to last for years without losing its quality or vibrancy. This durability is due to the printing and mounting process, which ensures that your print is protected from wear and tear.
But it’s not just their durability that makes art board prints a great choice. They also offer a sleek and modern look that’s hard to beat. Without the need for a frame, an art board print can be displayed in a minimalist style that lets the artwork or photographs take center stage. Plus, they’re incredibly versatile and can fit into any decor style.
So if you’re looking for a long-lasting, stylish way to showcase your favorite images, consider an
artboard print. With their durability, modern look, and versatility, they’re a great choice for any space.