Contents: Why Are Canvas Prints So Expensive?
Why Are Canvas Prints So Expensive?
It’s a myth that getting top-quality canvas prints will be expensive. And I’ll admit that some companies do charge quite a bit (maybe too much) for their canvas prints.
But, high-quality canvas prints don’t actually have to be that expensive, as you’ll see on websites like iCanvas, Redbubble, and Society6.
Here are some factors that will increase the price (and value) of canvas prints:
- Limited editions: If the canvas print is a limited edition (like they sell on Minted or Saatchi Art), this means there are only so many prints of the original artwork that will be made. This increases the value of the canvas print.
- Well-Known Artist: If you’re buying a canvas print of artwork created by a well-known artist, you’ll be paying more than a canvas print made from the work of an emerging artist.
- Premium Materials: Uses high-quality printers and materials (inks, canvases, and stretcher bars) that will make your canvas print look amazing and last for decades.
- Popularity: If the artwork is featured in the news, books, museums, catalogs, websites, or other media, the price will go up.
- The Story: If there’s a really cool story behind the artwork (like a famous person used to own it or was featured in a TV show or play), then a canvas print will probably go up in price.
How Much Should a Canvas Print Cost?
There really isn’t a clear-cut answer to this question because there are so many factors that will increase or decrease the price of a canvas print.
But, I find that if I’m buying directly from emerging artists, I’ll usually pay something between $20 to $150 USD for normal-sized canvas prints.
Are Canvas Prints Worth It?
Canvas prints can be a bit more expensive than other kinds of prints, but they will probably last longer. And, you can even hang high-quality canvas prints in your bathroom!
What I really enjoy about buying canvas prints is the texture of the canvases make a reproduction of handpainted art look even more artistic. I think this is the main reason canvas prints are trending today.
Canvas prints also weigh much less than framed prints, so they’re more suitable for rooms such as nurseries and kids’ rooms.
Another great thing about canvas prints is that there’s no glare/reflection bouncing off the artwork.
But, overall, if you love the look or a certain canvas print, then it’s definitely worth it (if you can afford it, of course).
Do Canvas Prints Look Cheap?
Whether or not your canvas art will look cheap is all in the materials used and, of course, the skills of the artist or photographer who produced the artwork or image on the canvas.
For detailed information on this topic, make sure to read my article: Do Canvas Prints Look Cheap?