Contents: Why Are Art Prints So Expensive?
Why Are Art Prints So Expensive?
It’s a myth that getting top-quality art prints will be expensive. And I’ll admit that some companies do charge quite a bit (maybe too much) for their art prints.
But, high-quality art prints don’t actually have to be that expensive, as you’ll see on websites like iCanvas, Redbubble, and Society6.
Here are some factors that will increase the price (and value) of art prints:
- Limited editions: If the art print is a limited edition (like they sell on Minted or Saatchi Art), this means there are only so many prints of the original artwork that will be made. This increases the value of the art print.
- Well-Known Artist: If you’re buying an art print of artwork created by a well-known artist, you’ll be paying more than an art print made from the work of an emerging artist.
- Premium Materials: Uses high-quality printers and materials (archival papers and inks) that will make your art print look amazing and last for decades.
- Popularity: If the artwork is featured in the news, books, museums, catalogs, websites, or other media, the price will go up.
- The Story: If there’s a really cool story behind the artwork (like a famous person used to own it or was featured in a TV show or play), then an art print will probably go up in price.
How Much Should an Art Print Cost?
There really isn’t a clear-cut answer to this question because there are so many factors that will increase or decrease the price of an art print.
But, I find that if I’m buying directly from emerging artists, I’ll usually pay something between $10 to $150 USD for normal-sized art prints.
Are Art Prints Worth Buying?
Art prints are often seen as mass-produced copies of original artwork that aren’t valuable. But I totally disagree!
But art is more than the monetary value associate with it. Even if you’re not buying art as an investment, art prints can bring life into your home or office!
With art, you can express yourself or change the mood of any room. And art prints are much more budget-friendly than original works of art, so ANYONE can enjoy art at a fraction of the price!