Art Prints: Quick Links
Why Are Art Prints So Expensive?
It’s a myth that getting top-quality art prints will be expensive. And I’ll admit that some companies do charge quite a bit (maybe too much) for their art prints.
But, high-quality art prints don’t actually have to be that expensive, as you’ll see below in the section: Where Is the Cheapest Place To Buy Art Prints?
Here are some factors that will increase the price (and value) of art prints:
- Limited editions: If the art print is a limited edition (like they sell on Minted or Saatchi Art), this means there are only so many prints of the original artwork that will be made. This increases the value of the art print.
- Well-Known Artist: If you’re buying an art print of artwork created by a well-known artist, you’ll be paying more than an art print made from the work of an emerging artist.
- Premium Materials: Uses high-quality printers and materials (archival papers and inks) that will make your art print look amazing and last for decades.
- Popularity: If the artwork is featured in the news, books, museums, catalogs, websites, or other media, the price will go up.
- The Story: If there’s a really cool story behind the artwork (like a famous person used to own it or was featured in a TV show or play), then an art print will probably go up in price.
How Much Should an Art Print Cost?
There really isn’t a clear-cut answer to this question because there are so many factors that will increase or decrease the price of an art print.
But, I find that if I’m buying directly from emerging artists, I’ll usually pay something between $10 to $150 USD for normal-sized art prints. Check out the section (below) on the cheapest places to buy high-quality art prints.
Are Art Prints Worth Buying?
Art prints are often seen as mass-produced copies of original artwork that aren’t valuable. But I totally disagree!
But art is more than the monetary value associate with it. Even if you’re not buying art as an investment, art prints can bring life into your home or office!
With art, you can express yourself or change the mood of any room. And art prints are much more budget-friendly than original works of art, so ANYONE can enjoy art at a fraction of the price!
If you’re buying art as an investment, I would recommend sticking to limited edition prints since they usually keep or increase their value over time. For more information about this subject, check out my article: What Are Limited Edition Prints?
Cheapest Place To Buy Top-Quality Art Prints?
Here are my favorited places to get the cheapest, high-quality art prints.
iCanvas has high-quality art prints at discounted prices. Plus, they have free shipping in the contiguous United States!
Another place I like the buy art prints is Minted (you can also get custom art prints made from a Minted artist). You’ll end up paying slightly more for these art prints, but they’re of premium quality and are limited editions, so they’re more valuable than most art prints.
And, last but not least, if I’m looking to buy art prints as an investment, Saatchi Art is where I go! Just like minted, these art prints are usually limited editions, they’re curated by a team of professionals, and are usually more valuable (but a little more expensive) than the art prints from the sites mentioned above.
So, go ahead and buy art prints, support independent artists, and HAVE FUN shopping!