Contents: What Is an Acrylic Print?
What Are Acrylic Prints?
Acrylic prints are one of the latest trends in wall art.
Acrylic prints are usually made with digital images printed on high-quality photographic paper. Then this print is typically sandwiched between a piece of clear acrylic sheeting (which looks like glass) and a backing, like the small acrylic blocks from Redbubble.
The print is usually mounted to a backing material that’s typically black, white, or transparent, depending on what looks best for the artwork or photograph). Or, sometimes the photograph is printed directly on acrylic sheets, like the acrylic prints from Society6.
Acrylics have a similar look to metal prints in that they typically have a glossy finish. However, if you look at an acrylic print from the side, you’ll see it’s thicker than most other kinds of prints you can buy today.
Here’s a video that shows what an acrylic print looks like.
An acrylic print is also sometimes called acrylic block, acrylic face, or photo mount. And, the acrylic is sometimes also called Plexiglass, Lucite, or Perspex (all brand names for acrylic resin).
The Benefits of Acrylic Prints
There are many benefits of acrylic prints, which include:
- Acrylic prints have a really nice smooth, glossy finish with a nice depth. This results in a look that’s very fashionable. An acrylic print is definitely a good choice if you are decorating a home or office that has a sleek and modern feel to it.
- If you want really sharp lines, a vibrant appearance, and tons of detail in your image, this type of print is known to be one of the best choices today.
- Photo mounting this way makes your print extremely durable, making them ideal for high-traffic areas. The clear acrylic protects the print from fading, scratching, and other damage that can occur over time.
- Premium acrylic prints will be made with archival paper and archival inks which will guarantee color permanence (no fading over time). Using archival materials means that the acrylic print will last a lifetime.
- Because these prints have an acrylic surface on top, they’re moisture-resistant. This means you can hang them in a humid space, like a bathroom.
- Finally, acrylic prints are easy to care for. They don’t require any special cleaners or treatments, just a little dusting now and then.
The Drawbacks of Acrylic Prints
Acrylic prints have a few drawbacks that should be considered before purchasing one.
- Acrylic prints can be quite expensive, especially when compared to other printing options. However, the quality is typically worth the price.
- Because acrylic prints are so glossy, they might not be a good choice if there’s a lot of lighting in the room since it may reflect the light and make viewing the image more difficult.
- Acrylic prints are one of the heaviest pieces of artwork you can buy, but they’re not overly heavy. They’re usually just as heavy as a framed art print and you can still easily mount them to your walls.
- They can be more difficult to frame and hang properly (depending on the hanging hardware).
Is an Acrylic Print Good for Photos?
Acrylic prints do have a high level of clarity. If you want really sharp lines and tons of detail in your image, this type of print is a really great choice!
Acrylic prints also have colors that “pop” so they look as vibrant as they do in real life.
So, if you’re looking for a print that has beautiful color and sharp details, an acrylic print is exactly what you need.
Should I Choose an Acrylic Print or Canvas Print?
One type of print is not better than the other, but if you have trouble deciding whether or not you want a canvas print or an acrylic print, here are a few things to keep in mind.
When it comes to photography, especially close-ups of people or animals, the popular opinion seems to be that an acrylic print is the best choice. Usually, these types of photos were meant to have most of their details and some of their sharpness shared with the viewer.
The texture of a canvas won’t show the finer details and sharpness of a photo compared to an acrylic print.
On the other hand, I think that an artistic photograph of a landscape, a building, or nature can look great on canvas. For example, a canvas photo print of the Eiffel tower, an aerial view of a beach (iCanvas), or flowers can be a beautiful addition to your home or office. In most of these cases, the finer details do not seem to be missed at all.
However, I think that canvas prints are best when the printed image is of a handmade piece of art like a painting, a sketch, or a digital illustration (iCanvas). The texture of the canvas will make the print look much more like an original piece of art.
Conclusion: Acrylic Photo Prints
If you’re looking for a unique way to display your favorite photos or artwork, an acrylic print is a perfect option.
With its stunning colors, three-dimensional effect, and durability, an acrylic print will become a cherished part of your home or office for years to come.