Aluminum prints are a unique way to display your photos because they produce high-definition, contemporary-looking photos, and artwork. These prints are also commonly called aluminum metal prints or just metal prints (although
not all metal prints are made from aluminum).
In a nutshell, they’re made by printing a photo onto a thin, smooth, lightweight, aluminum metal sheet that’s normally around 1/16 inches thick. The aluminum print is then coated with a glossy finish that makes the colors and details of the photo really stand out.
Take a look at Society6‘s video below, to see what a typical aluminum print looks like.
There are a lot of different varieties of aluminum prints, but here are some of the most popular options available today:
- Brush Aluminum Prints: These are sometimes called silver aluminum prints. This type of print shows the aluminum sheet wherever there are highlights (white areas) in the photo or artwork. So, the white areas of the photo look like metal. This type of aluminum print is best used for artwork. I wouldn’t choose this for portraits.
- Classic Aluminum Prints: This is the most popular type of aluminum print. The aluminum sheet is pre-coated with a white base layer, so the highlights in the photos will actually be white instead of silver. This is the best choice for most people because it usually has a satin finish, so it’ll have a little sheen but won’t have a lot of glare.
- Glossy Aluminum Prints: Similar to the classic aluminum prints, this high-gloss aluminum print is best if you’re looking to showcase a lot of rich, vibrant, high-contrast colors. However, this type of aluminum print is not a good choice if you’ll be hanging it in a room with a lot of overhead lighting or where the sun will be shining directly on it. Because of its glossy finish, it will reflect just like glass would, and it might make the image hard to see.
Is Aluminum Used in Photography?
High-quality aluminum prints are a great choice if you want to show off artwork or a photo that has a lot of details and rich colors.
Aluminum prints are especially worth it if you want to showcase a super high-contrast HDR-style photograph. They make the details and colors of a photograph stand out like you’ve never seen before.
Advantages of Aluminum Prints
Aluminum prints are a great way to show off your photos. They offer a unique look that is different from other types of prints.
Here are some of the advantages of aluminum prints:
- They are durable and high-quality aluminum prints can last for 100+ years.*
- They are scratch-resistant and will not fade over time.*
- They have a high gloss finish that makes them look very elegant.
- They are easy to clean with a damp cloth and do not require special care.
- They’re water-resistant, so they’re perfect to display in bathrooms.
* Lately, a printing technique called
dye-sublimation printing is becoming more popular as well. This technique uses heat to transfer dye into the aluminum sheet, so the dye is infused and becomes part of the metal. This makes the aluminum prints extra durable, scratch-resistant, and color permanent (no fading over time).
Disadvantages of Aluminum Prints
There are many advantages to aluminum prints, but there are also a few disadvantages.
- One disadvantage is that they can be quite glossy. This can make it difficult to see the image clearly if there are a lot of lights or sunlight in the room. (However, some sites like Redbubble are selling aluminum prints with the option of a matte finish for minimal glare).
- Another disadvantage is that they can be quite expensive compared to other types of prints. (However, if you’re going to have an art print matted and framed, it will probably cost you approximately the same amount as an aluminum print.)
- Finally, aluminum prints have a bold and contemporary look. This means they will look out of place in a more traditionally styled home or office.
How Do You Hang an Aluminum Print?
When it comes to hanging a aluminum print, there are a few things you need to take into account. The type of aluminum print, the weight of the print and the type of wall you’re hanging it on all play a part in how you should hang your aluminum print.
If your aluminum print is lightweight, you can use a picture hanger or some wire to hang it on the wall.
Popular print-on-demand e-commerce sites, like Society6 and Redbubble, sell their aluminum prints with “back mount fixtures”. This type of hanging usually makes the
art look like it’s floating about 1/2 to 1 inch off the wall.
For heavier prints, you’ll need to use anchors and screws to attach it to the wall. Make sure that you use anchors that are designed for weight loads appropriate for your aluminum print.
Overview: What Is an Aluminum Metal Print?
An aluminum print is a photo that has been printed on a thin aluminum metal sheet that’s normally around 1/16 inches thick. Aluminum prints are very durable and can last for many years.
They’re unique, and beautiful, and are a great choice for images that need to be hung in areas with high traffic or moisture as they are extremely durable and scratch-resistant.
Aluminum prints also make perfect additions to any contemporary home or office and are a great way to show off your favorite photos or designs. If you’re looking for a new and exciting way to display your photos or artwork, aluminum prints are definitely worth considering.