As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn a commission when you buy through other links on my site. Learn more.
Table of Contents: Buying Original Art Online
Quick List: Best Places to Buy Original Art Online (Top 5 Sites)
First, let’s start with a list that quickly describes the best sites to buy original art online. After that, I’ll describe each site in greater detail.
Click here to see the #1 TRENDING PLACE to buy original art online – updated daily!
Please Note: The art sites below are not listed in any particular order.
|Etsy||$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Buy Affordable Art Directly From Artists.|
|Amazon Handmade||$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Love & Trust Amazon.|
|Minted||$$$||USA, Ships Worldwide||Best Site for People Looking for Limited Edition Prints.|
|Saatchi Art||$$$$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Learn How To Invest in Original Art.|
|Artfinder||$$$$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Invest in Original Art.|
A More Detailed List: Best Places to Buy Original Art Online
Original Art Sold Online:
Paintings, drawings, illustrations, photographs, sculptures, fiber arts, mixed media, collage, fine art ceramics, glass art, artist trading cards, and more.
Etsy is an American-based company. This place provides a fun way for people to buy vintage and homemade products online from around the world.
Not only will you find a variety of inexpensive original art from artists worldwide, but you’ll also find handmade and vintage jewelry & accessories, clothing, home décor, and so much more!
This site is definitely worth checking out, especially if you’re looking for something truly unique.
What I Don’t Like About Etsy
- Not all sellers ship internationally.
- When you find something you really like, but it’s being sold by a new seller, there won’t be any reviews about the seller and the quality of artwork.
What I Like About Etsy
- You can buy original art directly from independent artists worldwide!
- They have an amazing online review system. You can read about the quality of the artwork sold and people’s shopping experiences with specific sellers.
- This place has a lot of inexpensive original art ($$ – $$$).
- Etsy’s customer support is also very reliable, and ready to help if a dispute happens between a seller and buyer.
Do you want to support small businesses?
Join 39+ million others who got unique, meaningful items on Etsy!
Every purchase pays a small business!
2. Saatchi Art
Original Art Sold Online:
paintings, photographs, drawings, sculptures, original/manual prints, and more.
About Saatchi Art
One of the most popular places to buy original art online is another American-based business, Saatchi Art.
In an effort to duplicate the experience and culture of a traditional gallery, all artwork are viewed and categorized by Saatchi Art’s curators.
These curators also look out for original art that is particularly remarkable and worth featuring in their catalog.
This website focuses on original paintings, limited editions, and other original art from artists worldwide.
Saatchi Art also offers a FREE beginner-friendly advisory service to help people interested in investing in art.
What I Don’t Like About Saatchi Art
- Compared to the other places mentioned in this article, the prices are much higher ($$$-$$$$). But, if you want to buy original art as an investment, this is definitely the place to go.
- They offer excellent customer service, but shipping is the artists’ responsibility. This is a little problematic because Saatchi Art doesn’t have an online review system where customers can review specific artists on their customer service.
What I Like About Saatchi Art
- They feature a lot of emerging artists that come from all around the world.
- Compared to traditional galleries, the prices are fairly low and the shipping cost is already included in the price of the artwork.
- Professionally curated, I think they’re one of the easiest and most convenient places to invest in art and start a collection. And they’re very helpful to beginner collectors.
- I love that Saatchi Art has a FREE advisory service, which helps you pick out the perfect artwork for your space and personality.
3. Amazon Handmade
Original Art Sold Online:
Paintings, drawings, mixed media, photographs, home decor accessories, and more.
About Amazon Handmade
Amazon Handmade (by Amazon.com) is an online department where artists can sell their original art online.
But this place sells more than just original art. You can also find handcrafted jewelry, home décor, kitchen accessories, clothing, accessories, a handmade gift shop, and so much more!
You can also order art that is “fulfilled by Amazon“. This means that instead of buying directly from artists, Amazon will be responsible for shipping the artwork and the customer service.
What I Don’t Like About Amazon Handmade
- Since this department is still somewhat new, they don’t have as a lot of original art for sale compared to Etsy.
- When you find something you really like, but it’s being sold directly by a new artist without reviews, it’s hard to trust that you’ll get a high-quality painting with good customer service.
What I Like About Amazon Handmade
- Similar to Etsy, you can buy original art directly from independent artists worldwide. But I also like the option to buy art that is fulfilled by Amazon (a very trusted company).
- This place is also known for its amazing online review system, so even if you order directly from an artist, you’ll know what you’re getting into.
- You’ll find a variety of prices, but most of the original art is very low-priced ($$ – $$$).
- Most artists ship worldwide.
- Amazon’s customer support is amazing!
Do you want low prices, free shipping, and convenience?
Join millions of loyal Amazon shoppers who got awesome, affordable stuff on Amazon!
Original Art Sold Online:
Commissioned original art.
Founded in the United States, Minted is known for its beautifully designed invitations and stationery.
But, if you’re looking to buy original art, then you can also get an original, commissioned painting made by a Minted artist. You can either ask to get a completely new piece of art or use an already existing piece as inspiration.
Here’s how to get a painting made just for you!
- Choose an artist who’s available from this list.
- Click “Request Commissioned Art”.
- Complete a short form.
- Once you and the artist agree on a price, Minted.com will collect a down payment, which is 50% of the price.
- Once you approve the final image of the painting, you pay the other 50% of the price. The artist will then insure and ship the original painting to you.
What I Don’t Like About Minted
- I can’t think of anything at the moment!
What I Like About Minted
- You can buy original artwork made just for you.
- Minted is in charge of manufacturing, shipping, and customer service.
And, last but not least, I want to mention Artfinder.
I’ve never bought a painting from Artfinder yet, but just like the other websites mentioned on this page, this place is rising in popularity.
So, I’ll definitely be looking at reviewing Artfinder someday (hopefully sooner than later).
Artfinder was founded in 2011 and its headquarters are in the UK and the United States. They offer original art like paintings, sculptures, fine art prints, drawings, and photography directly from independent artists around the world.
So go ahead and buy original art online, support independent artists, and (most importantly) HAVE FUN shopping!