As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn a commission when you buy through other links on my site. Learn more.
Table of Contents: Buying Local Art
Quick List: How To Buy Local Art Online (Top 3 Sites)
First, let’s start with a list that quickly describes the best sites to buy local art online. After that, I’ll describe each site in greater detail.
Click here to see the #1 TRENDING PLACE to buy local art online – updated daily!
Please Note: The art sites below are not listed in any particular order.
|Etsy||$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Buy Affordable Art Directly From Artists.|
|Saatchi Art||$$$$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Learn How To Invest in Original Art.|
|Artfinder||$$$$||Worldwide Marketplace||Best Site for People Who Want To Invest in Original Art.|
A More Detailed List: How To Buy Local Art Online
Local Art Sold Online:
Paintings, drawings, illustrations, photographs, sculptures, fiber arts, mixed media, collage, fine art ceramics, glass art, artist trading cards, and more.
Etsy is an American-based company. This place provides a fun way for people to buy vintage and homemade products online from around the world.
Not only will you find a variety of inexpensive local art from artists worldwide, but you’ll also find handmade and vintage jewelry & accessories, clothing, home décor, and so much more!
This site is definitely worth checking out, especially if you’re looking for something truly unique.
What I Don’t Like About Etsy
- Not all sellers ship internationally.
- When you find something you really like, but it’s being sold by a new seller, there won’t be any reviews about the seller and the quality of artwork.
What I Like About Etsy
- You can buy local art directly from independent artists worldwide!
- They have an amazing online review system. You can read about the quality of the artwork sold and people’s shopping experiences with specific sellers.
- This place has a lot of inexpensive local art ($$ – $$$).
- Etsy’s customer support is also very reliable, and ready to help if a dispute happens between a seller and buyer.
Do you want to support small businesses?
Join 39+ million others who got unique, meaningful items on Etsy!
Every purchase pays a small business!
2. Saatchi Art
Local Art Sold Online:
Paintings, photographs, drawings, sculptures, original/manual prints, and more.
About Saatchi Art
One of the most popular places to buy local art online is another American-based business, Saatchi Art.
In an effort to duplicate the experience and culture of a traditional gallery, all artwork are viewed and categorized by Saatchi Art’s curators.
These curators also look out for local art that is particularly remarkable and worth featuring in their catalog.
This website focuses on original paintings, limited editions, and other local art from artists worldwide.
Saatchi Art also offers a FREE beginner-friendly advisory service to help people interested in investing in art.
What I Don’t Like About Saatchi Art
- Compared to the other places mentioned in this article, the prices are much higher ($$$-$$$$). But, if you want to buy local art as an investment, this is definitely the place to go.
- They offer excellent customer service, but shipping is the artists’ responsibility. This is a little problematic because Saatchi Art doesn’t have an online review system where customers can review specific artists on their customer service.
What I Like About Saatchi Art
- They feature a lot of emerging artists that come from all around the world.
- Compared to traditional galleries, the prices are fairly low and the shipping cost is already included in the price of the artwork.
- Professionally curated, I think they’re one of the easiest and most convenient places to invest in art and start a collection. And they’re very helpful to beginner collectors.
- I love that Saatchi Art has a FREE advisory service, which helps you pick out the perfect artwork for your space and personality.
And, last but not least, I want to mention Artfinder.
I’ve never bought a painting from Artfinder yet, but just like the other websites mentioned on this page, this place is rising in popularity.
So, I’ll definitely be looking at reviewing Artfinder someday (hopefully sooner than later).
Artfinder was founded in 2011 and its headquarters are in the UK and the United States. They offer local art like paintings, sculptures, fine art prints, drawings, and photography directly from independent artists around the world.
Is It Safe To Buy Local Art Online?
The 3 art sites listed above are safe and their checkout systems are absolutely secure.
In a nutshell, the sites above all keep records associated with transactions made on their site and do not give any secure data to the sellers. This means that your credit card or debit card numbers, or any other financial information, are kept safe and away from sellers.
Sellers will only receive shipping information and a few other necessary buyer account information they need to complete an order.
Also, although it’s safe to use debit cards on these sites, I prefer to use my credit card when I shop online because it comes with protection against fraud and a zero-liability policy. This means I don’t have to pay for any purchases I did not make.
Visa’s Zero Liability Policy* is our guarantee that you won’t be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your account or account information. You’re protected if your Visa credit or debit card is lost, stolen or fraudulently used, online or offline.Visa
Have peace of mind knowing that the financial institution that issued your Mastercard won’t hold you responsible for unauthorized transactions. As a Mastercard cardholder, Zero Liability applies to your purchases made in the store, over the telephone, online, or via a mobile device and ATM transactions.Mastercard
Use the American Express Card online or off, and you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you’ve taken reasonable care to protect your account details, PIN and any device on which you have added your account information. Notify us at once if your Card or eligible device is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used without your permission.American Express
If someone steals your Discover card account information, remember that our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee means you are never responsible for unauthorized transactions on your Discover card account.Discover
My opinion is that credit cards are the best choice when shopping online. There are two reasons why I think this way:
- You’re not as protected against fraud when you use a debit card as compared to a credit card. And getting that money back into your bank account can be a slow process.
- If somebody uses your debit card number to make fraudulent purchases, the money will be taken directly out of your bank account. That means you might get stuck without being able to pay for expenses like food or rent for a while.
I’m not saying it’s not safe to buy art online with a debit card. All I’m saying is that I personally prefer to use my credit card. However, I would still buy things on the sites above if I only had a debit card, or I’d get something like a prepaid visa card.
In case of a fraudulent purchase, the main difference between purchasing online with a credit card or a debit card is this:
- With a credit card, the credit card company must fight to get their money back.
- With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back.
So now that you know how to buy local art online, go ahead and buy art, support independent artists, and HAVE FUN shopping!