As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. I may also earn a commission when you buy through other links on my site. Learn more.
Framed Prints: Quick Links
Why Are Framed Prints So Expensive?
It’s a myth that getting top-quality framed prints will be expensive. And I’ll admit that some companies do charge quite a bit (maybe too much) for their framed prints.
But, high-quality framed prints don’t actually have to be that expensive, as you’ll see below in the section: Where Is the Cheapest Place To Buy Framed Prints?
Here are some factors that will increase the price (and value):
- Top-Quality Materials: Uses high-quality printers and the finest materials (archival papers/inks/matting & premium wood frames) that will make your print look amazing and last for up to 100 years.
- Limited editions: If the framed print is a limited edition (like they sell on Minted or Saatchi Art), this means there are only so many prints of the original artwork that will be made. This increases the value of the framed print.
- Well-Known Artist: If you’re buying a framed print of artwork created by a well-known artist, you’ll be paying more than a framed print made from the work of an emerging artist.
- Popularity: If the artwork is featured in the news, books, museums, catalogs, websites, or other media, the price will go up.
- The Story: If there’s a really cool story behind the artwork (like a famous person used to own it or was featured in a TV show or play), then a framed print will probably go up in price.
How Much Should a Framed Print Cost?
There really isn’t a clear-cut answer to this question because there are so many factors that will increase or decrease the price of a framed print.
But, I find that if I’m buying directly from emerging artists, I’ll usually pay something between $40 to $150 USD for normal-sized framed prints. Check out the section (below) on the cheapest places to buy top-quality framed prints.
Are Framed Prints Worth Buying?
Framed prints are often seen as mass-produced copies of original artwork that aren’t valuable. But I totally disagree!
But art is more than the monetary value associate with it. Even if you’re not buying art as an investment, framed prints can bring life into your home or office!
With art, you can express yourself or change the mood of any room. And framed prints are much more budget-friendly than original works of art, so ANYONE can enjoy art at a fraction of the price!
If you’re buying art as an investment, I would recommend sticking to limited edition prints since they usually keep or increase their value over time. For more information about this subject, check out my article: What Are Limited Edition Prints?
Cheapest Place To Buy Top-Quality Framed Prints?
Here are my favorited places to get the cheapest, high-quality framed prints.
iCanvas has high-quality framed prints at discounted prices. Plus, they have free shipping in the contiguous United States!
If you’re willing to dig a little, you can also find inexpensive framed prints on Etsy and Amazon Handmade, but most of the prints sold on these sites come unframed. However, you can always find tons of high-quality, inexpensive frames and matting on Amazon that will match the size of your prints.
Another place I like the buy framed prints is Minted (you can also get custom-framed prints made from a Minted artist). You’ll end up paying slightly more for these framed prints, but they’re of premium quality and are limited editions, so they’re more valuable than most framed prints.
And, last but not least, if I’m looking to buy framed prints as an investment, Saatchi Art is where I go! Just like Minted, these framed prints are usually limited editions, they’re curated by a team of professionals, and are usually more valuable (but a little more expensive) than the framed prints from the sites mentioned above.
So, go ahead and buy framed prints, support independent artists, and HAVE FUN shopping!