Is Etsy Safe: Quick Links
- Is It Safe To Order From Etsy?
- Is Etsy Safe for Credit Cards, Debit Cards & PayPal?
- Additional Safety Features for Your Etsy Account
- Etsy Sellers; Good vs Bad People
- Are Etsy Purchases Protected?
- Conclusion: Is Etsy Safe to Buy From?
Is Etsy Safe To Order From? (Safely Purchase Unique Handmade & Vintage Items From Etsy Sellers)
Please Note: I’m not a financial advisor. I’m just a super cautious online shopper, who so happens to be addicted to Etsy.
Etsy has been one of my favorite places to buy unique handmade and vintage items online since 2011.
Because Etsy sellers sell almost EVERYTHING* and it’s completely safe.
And even with coronavirus affecting how we live today, I’ve kept buying products on Etsy for almost anything I need, including vintage jewelry, furniture, handmade face masks, artwork and photos (which I review for work), business supplies, and unique gifts for the people in my life who have everything.
So in this article, let’s look at what makes Etsy.com safe to buy from in more detail. From using credit cards to spotting good & bad Etsy sellers, you’ll find all the information you need right here!
* Seriously. Etsy has almost EVERYTHING you could possibly need that’s handcrafted. They even sell jars of Nothing. No joke. You read that right. Etsy sells everything to the point where they even sell pretty jars of “Nothing”. lol
Tip: Etsy & Coronavirus
To get up-to-date information on how Etsy is making their sellers’ and buyers’ safety a priority, check out their page: COVID-19 Safety on Etsy
Is Etsy Safe for Credit Cards, Debit Cards & PayPal?
Please Note: I’m not a financial advisor. I’m just a super cautious online shopper who loves Etsy with a passion.
Buyers have several ways to pay for items on Etsy, but sellers choose which payment methods they will accept.
The most popular ways to pay for items on Etsy are by using credit cards, debit cards, PayPal, and Etsy gift cards.
All of these payment options use Etsy’s secure checkout system, commonly called “Etsy Payments“.
Is Etsy Payments Secure?
Yes! Etsy Payments (Etsy’s checkout system) is absolutely secure and safe.
In a nutshell, Etsy keeps records associated with transactions on Etsy Payments and does not give any secure data to the sellers. This means that your credit card or debit card numbers, or any other financial information, are kept safe and away from sellers.
Etsy sellers will only receive shipping information and a few other necessary buyer account information they need to complete an order.
The best part about Etsy Payments?
You can pay for multiple items from different Etsy shops at the same time.
Tip: Safely Paying for Items on Etsy
- Make sure to never give your card number or password over the phone, in an email, or any messaging system.
- Etsy can’t confirm or help with payments made outside of their own online checkout system or PayPal. This is why it’s better if you can pay for items through Etsy’s website, instead of sending payments like cheques or money orders directly to the seller.
- If you see an unauthorized charge from Etsy on your credit card statement, contact Etsy’s customer service right away.
Debit Cards vs Credit Cards (Which is Safer?)
It’s safe to use debit cards on Etsy.
However, I personally prefer to use my credit card when I shop online because it comes with protection against fraud and a zero-liability policy. This means I don’t have to pay for any purchases I did not make.
Visa’s Zero Liability Policy* is our guarantee that you won’t be held responsible for unauthorized charges made with your account or account information. You’re protected if your Visa credit or debit card is lost, stolen or fraudulently used, online or offline.Visa
Have peace of mind knowing that the financial institution that issued your Mastercard won’t hold you responsible for unauthorized transactions. As a Mastercard cardholder, Zero Liability applies to your purchases made in the store, over the telephone, online, or via a mobile device and ATM transactions.Mastercard
Use the American Express Card online or off, and you won’t be held responsible for any fraudulent charges, as long as you’ve taken reasonable care to protect your account details, PIN and any device on which you have added your account information. Notify us at once if your Card or eligible device is lost or stolen, or you suspect it is being used without your permission.American Express
If someone steals your Discover card account information, remember that our $0 Fraud Liability Guarantee means you are never responsible for unauthorized transactions on your Discover card account.Discover
My opinion is that credit cards are the best choice when shopping online. There are two reasons why I think this way:
- You’re not as protected against fraud when you use a debit card as compared to a credit card. And getting that money back into your bank account can be a slow process.
- If somebody uses your debit card number to make fraudulent purchases, the money will be taken directly out of your bank account. That means you might get stuck without being able to pay for expenses like food or rent for a while.
I’m not saying it’s not safe to buy products on Etsy with a debit card. All I’m saying is that I personally prefer to use my credit card. However, I would still buy products on Etsy if I only had a debit card, or I’d get something like a prepaid visa card.
Tip: Scams & Credit Cards
In case of a scam/fraudulent purchase, the main difference between purchasing online with a credit card or a debit card is this:
- With a credit card, the credit card company must fight to get their money back.
- With a debit card, you must fight to get your money back.
Additional Safety Features for Your Etsy Account
Etsy provides additional levels of protection if you have an account.
To register for an account, just go to Etsy.com and click on “Register” on the top, right corner. It’s fast, easy, and 100% free.
To access your Security Settings:
- Sign in to your Etsy Account.
- Click on “You” in the top right corner (if you’re on a desktop computer).
- Click on “Account Settings”.
- Click on the “Security” tab (towards the top of the page).
I recommend turning the two-factor authentication on. This will add an extra layer of protection to your account by sending you an authentication code via phone call, text, or through Etsy’s Authenticator App.
Etsy Sellers; Good vs Bad People
Most Etsy sellers are good people and unique artisans. I used to be an Etsy seller myself, for 9 years!
But, unfortunately, some Etsy sellers are scam artists.
If you’ve been researching Etsy reviews online, you’ll soon find out that many bad reviews come from buyers with complaints about a seller.
The truth is:
Etsy does not screen its sellers. All you have to do to start selling on Etsy is register for an account.
But there’s a way to tell if an Etsy seller is legit, and it’s by using and reading Etsy’s 5-star review system…
CLICK HERE to see the BEST SELLING ITEMS on Etsy in April 2021.
Etsy’s Shop Reviews
An Etsy buyer has 100 days (after the estimated delivery date of their order) to write a review about an Etsy shop/seller. They can also edit their review as many times as they need during this 100 day period.
Reading shop reviews is a good way to find out if a seller is legit in many categories, such as:
- Product quality
- Shipping and delivery times
- Customer service
- Handling of returns, replacements, and refunds
As a super cautious online shopper, my personal rule of thumb is to NOT buy from Etsy sellers with less than a 4-star rating. And, they must have at least good 20 reviews. Yet, the more reviews I find, the better!
CLICK HERE to see the #1 TRENDING SHOP on Etsy in April 2021.
Are Etsy Purchases Protected?
Yes. Etsy purchases are protected.
If something goes wrong with your purchase, here are a few steps to follow:
- Etsy leaves refund, return, and exchange policies up to the sellers. If you have a question about a recent order, the seller is the best person to ask. You can also check the sellers’ return policies by looking to the right of any Etsy item, and clicking on “See Return Policy”, under the Shipping & Returns section.
- If you and the seller can’t resolve a problem with your order, you may be qualified to open a case.
- Once open a case, Etsy can become a mediator, working with you and the seller on whatever issues you may have.
Conclusion: Is Etsy Safe to Buy From?
Etsy is a great and safe online marketplace, especially if you follow all of my tips in this article.
My friends and I have been shopping on Etsy for over 9 years and we’ve never had an issue with fraud. The sellers we bought from were top-notch. And, in the rare cases that we needed to return something, it was hassle-free.
The two main keys to staying safe on Etsy are:
- Read buyer reviews! Get to know Etsy sellers through other buyers’ experiences.
- Make sure you only pay for items through Etsy’s checkout system (Etsy Payments).
CLICK HERE to see the BEST SELLING ITEMS on Etsy in April 2021.
COVID-19 & Shipping Delays in 2021
Please remember that COVID-19 is affecting all businesses worldwide. There might be shipping delays due to record-breaking e-commerce/online orders and new shipping/delivery procedures that keep you safe from COVID-19.
If you’re purchasing products online in the United States, make sure to add an extra 2 weeks to your expected delivery time (just IN CASE there are unpredicted delays). Better safe than sorry!
In 2020 and 2021, I’ve had many shipping delays from many different companies that added 1-2 weeks to my expected delivery times. So, submit your orders as soon as you can and stay safe!
So go ahead and safely buy unique vintage and handmade items on Etsy, support small businesses, and (most importantly) HAVE FUN shopping!
Quick Links To Go Back Up:
Is It Safe To Order From Etsy? | Etsy vs Credit Cards, Debit Cards & PayPal | Is Etsy Payments Secure? | Etsy Account; More Safety Features | Etsy Sellers; Good vs Bad People | Are Etsy Purchases Protected? | Conclusion: How Safe is Etsy?
What Qualifies Me to Write This Article?
I’ve been obsessed buying handmade and vintage items on Etsy.com for over 9 years. I also spent years researching thousands of buyer reviews about Etsy.
So, I finally decided to combine my research and my own personal shopping experience to make this article about whether or not it’s safe to buy from Etsy.