Review of: Etsy.com
We’ve all heard about this really cool site called Etsy.
But, for many potential future customers, one question remains…
Is Etsy safe to buy from?
If you’re wondering if Etsy is a safe site, have no fear! I’m an Etsy shopper/addict and I’m here to help you with all of your questions!
Click here to see the #1 top-selling store on Etsy in September 2020.
I’ve been buying amazing handmade and vintage items from Etsy for over 9 years and I absolutely LOVE THIS SITE!
But I do think there are a few things new Etsy buyers should know before they buy anything.
So, in this post, I’m going to tell you how to keep your financial information safe while shopping on Etsy. Plus, I’ll give you tips on how to make sure you get high-quality items from really professional Etsy sellers.
Etsy offers a unique shopping experience in one of a kind merchandise from all over the world. I love the ability to buy hand made unique clothing and jewelry. They have something for everyone. The website is extensive and secure. So much to peruse and enjoy. Take a peek and you will surely find something for yourself or someone special.Linda on Feb. 20, 2020
Please Note: I’m not a financial advisor. I’m just a super cautious online shopper who loves Etsy with a passion.
Is Etsy Safe for Credit Cards, Debit Cards, and Paypal?
Buyers have several ways to pay for items on Etsy, but sellers choose which payment methods they will accept.
The most popular ways to pay for items on Etsy are by using credit cards, debit cards, Paypal, and Etsy gift cards.
All of these payment options use Etsy’s checkout system, commonly called “Etsy Payments“.
This checkout system makes sure that your payment is received by the seller WITHOUT giving your payment information like your card number or other financial information.
The best part about Etsy Payments?..
.. You can pay for multiple items from different Etsy shops at the same time.
Why I Prefer Credit Cards Over Debit Cards When Shopping Online
Personally, I prefer to use my credit card when I shop online because it comes with protection against fraud and a zero-liability policy. This means I don’t have to pay for any purchases I did not make.
Please Note: Make sure to look up your debit or credit card provider’s liability policy as it can vary.
My opinion is that debit cards usually should not be used to shop online. There are two reasons why I think this way:
- You’re not as protected against fraud when you use a debit card as compared to a credit card. And getting that money back into your bank account can be a slow process.
- If somebody uses your debit card number to make fraudulent purchases, the money will be taken directly out of your bank account. That means you might get stuck without being able to pay for expenses like food or rent for a while.
I’m not saying it’s not safe to buy things on Etsy with a debit card. All I’m saying is that I like to have that extra back-up, just in case.
Tips on How to Stay Safe When Ordering from Etsy
- Make sure to never give your card number or password over the phone, in an email, or any messaging system.
- Etsy can’t confirm or help with payments made outside of their own online checkout system or PayPal. This is why it’s better if you can pay for items through Etsy’s site, instead of sending payments like cheques or money orders directly to the seller.
- If you see an unauthorized charge from Etsy on your credit card statement, contact Etsy right away and do the following steps:
- Select Issues with an order from the first drop-down menu.
- Select Not seeing your issue? from the second drop-down menu.
- Click on the orange button that reads Contact Us by Email.
- Write “Attn: Risk” in the subject line for quicker service.
Additional Security Features on Etsy’s Website
Etsy provides additional levels of protection if you have an account.
To register for an account, just go to Etsy.com and click on Register on the top, right corner. It’s fast, easy, and 100% free.
To access your Security Settings:
- Sign in to your Etsy Account.
- Click on “You” in the top right corner (if you’re on a desktop computer).
- Click on “Account Settings”.
- Click on the “Security” tab (towards the top of the page).
I recommend turning the two-factor authentication on. This will add an extra layer of protection to your account by sending you an authentication code via phone call, text, or through Etsy’s Authenticator App.
How to Tell If an Etsy Seller Is Reliable
Most Etsy sellers are amazing and kind artisans. I used to be an Etsy seller myself, for 9 years!
But, unfortunately, some Etsy sellers are scam artists.
If you’ve been researching Etsy reviews online, you’ll soon find out that many negative reviews come from buyers with complaints about a seller.
The truth is:
Etsy does not screen its sellers. All you have to do to start selling on Etsy is register for an account.
But there’s a way to tell if an Etsy seller is legit, and it’s by using and reading Etsy’s 5-star review system…
Etsy Customer Reviews
An Etsy buyer has 100 days to write a review after the estimated delivery date of their order. They can also edit their review as many times as they want during this 100 day period.
Reading reviews is a good way to find out if a seller is legit in many categories, such as:
- Product quality
- Shipping and delivery times
- Customer service
- Handling of returns, replacements, and refunds
As a super cautious online shopper, my personal rule of thumb is to NOT buy from Etsy sellers with less than a 4-star rating. And, they must have at least 20 reviews. Yet, the more reviews I get to read, the better!
Etsy’s Return Policy
Etsy leaves return and exchange policies up to the sellers.
Honest and reliable Etsy sellers will want to make their customers happy! I know this by experience.
Part of making customers happy is having detailed returns and exchanges policy available on the product’s page.
You can check the sellers’ return policies by looking to the right of any Etsy item, and clicking on “See Return Policy”, under the Shipping & Returns section.
Also, make sure to read buyer reviews to see how sellers have followed through on their return policies!
Conclusion: Is Etsy Safe to Buy From?
Etsy.com is a safe site if you follow all of my tips in this article.
My friends and I have been shopping on Etsy for over 9 years and we’ve never had an issue with fraud. The sellers we bought from were top-notch. And, in the rare cases that we needed to return something, it was hassle-free.
The two main keys to staying safe on Etsy are:
- Read buyer reviews! Get to know Etsy sellers through other customers’ shopping experiences.
- Make sure you only pay for items through Etsy’s checkout system.
I order a birthday gift for my niece and the selection was wonderful, she wanted a 80’s theme, and they had all kinds of gifts. The checkout time was so fast, and the website is so easy to navigate. I even left a message for the seller, and her reply was really fast and professional. I recommend that site to my sister and my brother, I love it for anything you might need for gift giving, thank you.Bette on Oct. 20, 2019
So go ahead and find unique vintage and handmade items, support independent artists, and (most importantly) HAVE FUN shopping!
All customer reviews featured on this page were taken from Consumer Affairs and verified.